FRISEE AU LARDONS (frisee with poached eggs and warm bacon vinaigrette, for four)
½ pound frisee, torn into bite-sized pieces
6 ounces slab or thick-cut bacon
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
4 large eggs
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¾ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Put frisee in a large bowl.
- If using slab bacon, cut off rind, then cut bacon lengthwise into ¼ inch thick slices. Cut bacon slices (either type) crosswise into ¾ inch wide sticks. Cook bacon in a 10 to 12 inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 7 minutes. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Bring water in an egg poacher to a simmer, stir in the white vinegar, add eggs, cover and poach 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and remove cover.
- Reheat bacon in skillet over moderate heat. Add shallots and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add red wine vinegar and boil 5 seconds, then immediately pour hot dressing over frisee. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Divide salad among 4 plates, top each with a poached egg, season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.
from The Gourmet Cookbook