PAN-GRILLED JUMBO SHRIMP WITH LEMON AND OREGANO (for four)
1-1/2 pounds jumbo shrimp in shell (15 per pound)
4 large garlic cloves
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon black pepper
¾ cup olive oil
¼ cup finely chopped fresh oregano (from 1 bunch)
3 lemons, each cut into 6 wedges
Orzo with artichokes and pine nuts to accompany
1. Snip through shells of shrimp along middle of back using kitchen shears, exposing vein and leaving tail and adjoining last segment of shell intact. Devein shrimp leaving shells intact.
2. Mince and mash garlic to a paste with salt using a large heavy knife or a mortar and pestle. Transfer to a blender along with lemon juice and pepper and blend until smooth. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream, blending until emulsified. Transfer dressing to a bowl and stir in chopped oregano.
3. Toss shrimp with ¼ cup of the dressing in a large bowl and marinate no more than 15 minutes (texture of shrimp with change if marinated too long).
4. Lightly brush lemon wedges with some of remaining dressing and grill in a hot, well-seasoned ridged grill pan over moderate heat, turning over once, just until grill marks appear, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a large platter.
5. Grill shrimp in batches, turning over once, until just cooked through, 7 to 8 minutes total. (Alternatively, grill on lightly oiled rack of a charcoal grill, covered if using a gas grill, for about the same period, turning once.) Transfer to platter with lemons as grilled. Serve with remaining dressing and orzo.
from Gourmet Magazine, June, 2006
GREEK SHRIMP REDUX: Horiatiki salata with grilled shrimp