STEAMED SUGAR SNAP PEAS WITH CHERRY TOMATOES (for six)
1-1/2 pounds sugar snap peas, trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 pound cherry or grape tomatoes
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
- Put the peas in a steamer basket, rinse them under cold tap water and set them aside to drain while you bring the steaming water to a boil.
- Add a couple of inches of cold tap water to the pan of a vegetable steamer (it should come just below, but not touch, the steamer basket). Put the lid on top and bring the water to a boil over high heat.
- Remove the lid and place the steamer basket with the sugar snaps into the steamer over the boiling water. Cover, reduce the temperature to medium and steam for 3 to 4 minutes, or until the peas are crisp tender and still a vivid green. Immediately run the peas, still in the steamer basket, under cold tap water for several minutes to stop the cooking and retain the bright color.
- In a large heavy skillet heat the olive oil, shallots and cherry or grape tomatoes over moderately low heat, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add sugar snap peas and continue cooking until they are hot.
- Sprinkle with the white wine vinegar and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
from Bon Appetit Magazine, April, 1997