BARBECUED PORK BURGERS WITH SLAW (for four)
½ cup bottled tomato-based barbecue sauce
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1-1/2 pounds ground pork
Tidewater coleslaw to accompany
1. Prepare grill for direct-heat cooking over medium-hot charcoal (medium heat for gas).
2. Prepare coleslaw according to recipe. (Coleslaw can be made 8 hours ahead and chilled, covered.)
3. Stir together barbecue sauce, cayenne, ¼ teaspoon salt and remaining tablespoon vinegar until combined well.
4. Mix together pork, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce until combined (do not overmix), then form into four ¾ inch thick burgers (4 inches in diameter). (Patties can be formed 1 hour ahead and chilled, covered.)
5. Oil grill rack, then grill patties, covered only if using a gas grill, turning over occasionally, until just cooked through, about 6 minutes total. Brush top of each patty with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce mixture, then turn over and grill 30 seconds. Brush top of each patty with 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, then turn over and grill 30 seconds more. (If you aren’t able to grill outdoors, patties can be cooked in an oiled large -2 burner- ridged grill pan over medium heat, turning over occasionally, until just cooked through, 7 to 9 minutes, then brushed with barbecue sauce and cooked as above.)
6. Brush cut sides of rolls with remaining ¼ cup barbecue sauce, then sandwich patties and coleslaw between rolls.
adapted from Gourmet Magazine, August, 2007