BLACK FRUIT COMPOTE (for six)
3 pounds assorted black fruits (blackberries, black currants, black grapes — seeded, and black cherries — pitted), all rinsed and picked over
6 tablespoons or more gin
superfine granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
mint leaves for garnish
- Toss the fruits gently in a large bowl to combine them.
- Divide the mixture into 6 glass dessert dishes.
- Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon gin and sugar to taste.
- Chill, covered, for at least 2 hours. (If you prefer, the gin and sugar can be added to the fruit in the large bowl before it is divided into dessert dishes. Cover and marinate for at least 2 hours in the refrigerator before dividing and serving.)
- Thirty minutes before serving, in a chilled bowl, beat 1-1/2 cups heavy cream until it holds soft peaks and then divide it between the dessert dishes, spreading it lightly over the fruits.
- Garnish with fresh mint leaves and serve with cookies or meringues, if desired.
Lemon ice box cookies