FAVA BEAN CROSTINI (for eight)
1 cup shelled fresh fava beans (1-1/4 pounds in pods) or shelled fresh or frozen edamame (soybeans, ¾ pounds in pods)
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
1-1/2 cups packed baby arugula, chopped, divided
3 tablespoons grated Pecorino Toscano or Parmigiano Reggiano
¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, halved crosswise
16 mint leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350* with rack in middle.
2. Cook beans in boiling water, uncovered, until tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain and transfer to an ice bath to stop cooking. Gently peel off skins. (If using edamame, don’t peel)
3. Pulse beans in a food processor until very coarsely chopped, then transfer to a bowl. Add ¼ cup oil, 1/3 cup arugula, cheese, lemon zest and juice, ½ teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper to processor and puree. Add to bowl. Fold in remaining arugula.
4. Cut 16 diagonal slices (1/3 inch thick) from baguette and put in a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Rub with cut side of garlic, and drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil.
5. Spoon fava bean mixture onto baguette toasts, then drizzle with additional oil and top with mint.
from Gourmet Italian Kitchen