FETTUCCINE CON IL SUGO PER LA GRAMIGNA (with cream and sausage, for four)
6 to 8 ounces Italian sweet sausage (luganega preferred)
1-1/2 tablespoons chopped shallots or yellow onion
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
freshly ground black pepper
2/3 cup heavy cream
1 pound fettuccine or fusilli
grated Parmesan cheese
1. Skin the sausage and crumble it as fine as possible.
2. Put the shallots in a small skillet with the butter and oil and sauté until pale gold.
3. Add the crumbled sausage meat and sauté it for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
4. Add the pepper and cream, turn the heat up to medium high and cook until the cream has thickened. Stir frequently while cooking. Taste and correct for salt.
5. Drop the pasta into 4 quarts boiling salted water and stir with a wooden spoon. When al dente, or firm to the bite, (about 12 minutes from when the water returns to a boil), drain, giving the colander a few vigorous shakes to remove water from the pasta. Transfer to a warm serving bowl, toss with the sauce and serve immediately with a little freshly grated Parmesan cheese on the side.
from Marcella Hazan, The Classic Italian Cookbook