LINGUINE ALLA BUCANIERA (“pirate’s style,” with clams, shrimp, squid and cherry tomatoes, for six)
6 tablespoons olive oil
½ pound jumbo shrimp, peeled, leaving tail and last segment of the shell intact, and deveined
salt to taste
1 pound squid, cleaned and cut into rings ½ inch wide
1 medium onion, chopped
6 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
¾ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon dried oregano
1/3 cup bottled clam juice
1/3 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
12 small hard-shell clams (littlenecks), soaked in cool water for 30 minutes and well scrubbed
½ pound mussels, soaked in cool water for 30 minutes and well scrubbed
1 pound ripe cherry tomatoes, halved, or plum (Roma) tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 pound linguine
juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- In a frying pan large enough to hold the cooked pasta and sauce, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over high heat. Add the shrimp and a pinch of salt. Saute just until the shrimp are pink, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate. Add the squid and a pinch of salt and sauté until opaque, about 1 minute. Transfer to the plate.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and the onion to the pan and saute, stirring, until the onion is golden, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, and oregano and cook until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the wine and clam juice and boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot three-fourths full of water to a boil. Add the pasta and salt and cook until al dente (9 to 10 minutes from after the water returns to a boil). Drain, reserving a cup of the water.
- While the pasta is cooking, stir the clams, tomatoes and parsley into the sauce and simmer, covered, 4 to 6 minutes (discard any clams that do not open after 6 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in butter until melted. Add the seafood and remove from the heat.
- Add the pasta to the sauce and stir and toss over medium heat, adding some of the cooking water if too dry. Sprinkle with lemon juice, transfer to a warmed serving bowl and serve immediately.