SIMPLE ALMOND BISCOTTI (42)
1 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter (1/2 cup), melted
3 tablespoons brandy
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup whole almonds with skin, lightly toasted, cooled and coarsely chopped
3 large eggs
2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
- Stir together sugar, butter, brandy and extracts in a large bowl, then stir in almonds and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt until just combined.
- Chill dough, covered, thirty minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350* with rack in middle.
- Using moistened hands, halve dough and form two 16 by 2 inch loaves on an ungreased large baking sheet.
- Bake until pale golden, about 30 minutes. Carefully transfer loaves to a rack and cool 15 minutes.
- Cut loaves into ¾ inch slices with a serrated knife.
- Arrange biscotti, cut side down, on a clean baking sheet and bake until golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to rack to cool.
from Gourmet’s Italian Kitchen
SERVE WITH: Coffee jelly