FUSILLI WITH ANCHOVIES AND CAULIFLOWER (for four)
a 1-1/2 pound head of cauliflower
½ cup olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, peeled and chopped fine
6 flat anchovy fillets, chopped
¼ teaspoon .hot red pepper
1 pound fusilli or rotini
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Break apart the cauliflower into florets and steam until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Put the oil, garlic and chopped anchovies into a medium sized saute pan. Turn the heat to medium and saute until the garlic begins to turn golden, stirring and mashing the anchovies.
- Put in the cauliflower and break it up with a fork, crumbling it into peanut sized pieces, mashing some of it into a pulp.
- Add the hot pepper and a liberal amount of salt. Cook for a few minutes more.
- Drop the pasta into a pot of abundant boiling salted water. Cook until tender but firm to the bite (about 10 minutes for Barilla. If you are using another brand of dried pasta, follow instructions on box). Place in a serving bowl and pour the sauce over it, toss and add the parsley.
adapted from Marcella Hazan, More Classic Italian Cooking