GAMJA-SALAD (Korean mashed potato salad, about 2 pounds)
4 russet potatoes, cut into ½ inch pieces
3 hard boiled eggs, shelled
1 English cucumber, washed, seeded and chopped
¼ teaspoon white ground pepper (or black pepper)
2 tablespoons rice syrup (or sugar)
1/3 cup mayonnaise, more if needed
- In a bowl, combine the cucumber with ¼ teaspoon salt and mix well. Let it sit for 5 minutes until it sweats out water. Strain and squeeze out excess moisture.
- Halve the hard boiled eggs and separate the yolks from the whites. Chop the egg whites and set aside.
- Grate one egg yolk for garnish: Press 1 egg yolk through a sieve or wire strainer with a wooden spoon. Set the other 2 egg yolks aside.
- Rinse the potato chunks in cold wsugar)ater to remove any excess starch and placed them in a heavy-bottomed pot. Add ½ cup water and a pinch of salt. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, then turn the heat down to low and cook for 10 minutes more. (Watch carefully. If the water evaporates, your potatoes will burn.) Remove from the heat and drain any excess water.
- Mash the hot potato with a wooden spoon or potato masher for 30 seconds, then add the 2 whole egg yolks and the chopped whites. Keep mashing until well mixed.
- Add the squeezed cucumber, ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper and rice syrup (or sugar) . Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the mayonnaise, mix well and add more if mixture seems too dry. Cool to room temperature then refrigerate, covered.