CHUNKY CINNAMON APPLESAUCE (for four)
2 McIntosh apples
2 Granny Smith or other tart apples
1 cup water
juice of ½ lemon
½ cup sugar
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Halve and core the McIntosh apples; peel them if you like. Cut each one into 6 wedges.
- Halve and core the Granny Smith apples; peel them if you like. Cut them into 1 inch chunks.
- Combine the apples, water and lemon juice in a deep, microwave-safe, 2-½ quart casserole.
- Toss the sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl, and stir this into the apple mixture.
- Microwave, uncovered, at full power (650 to 700 watts) for 5 minutes. Stir, pressing the apples into the liquid, and return to the microwave. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely mash the apples, stirring them into the liquid. Allow the applesauce to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate.
from Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, The New Basics Cookbook