ARTICHOKE, GOAT CHEESE AND SMOKED HAM STRATA (for eight)
2 tablespoons butter, softened (for the baking dish)
8 cups sourdough bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
1-½ teaspoons herbes de Provence
12 ounces smoked ham, chopped
three 6-½ ounce jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, halved lengthwise (about 2-½ cups)
1 cup (packed) grated Fontina cheese
1-½ cups (packed) grated Parmesan
12 ounces soft fresh goat cheese (such as Montrachet), crumbled (about 3 cups)
1 cup whipping cream
1-3/4 cups whole milk
9 large eggs
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1-½ teaspoons salt
¾ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish.
- Mix herbs in a small bowl to blend.
- Spread one-third of bread cubes in prepared dish. Top evenly with one third of ham, artichoke hearts, herbs, Fontina, Parmesan and goat cheese. Repeat layering twice, ending with the cheeses.
- Whisk cream, milk, eggs, garlic, salt, pepper and nutmeg together in a large bowl to blend. Pour evenly over strata. Refrigerate, covered with plastic wrap, for at least 8 hours to allow bread to absorb custard.
- Let strata stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 350*.
- Bake strata, uncovered, until puffed, golden brown and cooked through, about 55 minutes . Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
NOTE: The strata can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours before baking.
adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine, December, 1997