PICKLED QUAIL EGGS (20)
20 quail eggs
1 cup rice vinegar
½ cup water
¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 small roasted beet, peeled and cubed
1.Add the quail eggs to a pot that’s just big enough to fit them in a single layer. Add enough water to cover the eggs by 1 inch.
2. Prepare a large bowl of ice water.
3. Have a timer set to 1 minute 30 seconds and bring the water to a boil over high hear. As soon as the water is at a rolling boil start the timer and boil for exactly 1 minute 30 seconds.
4. Drain the eggs, plunge them into the bowl of ice water and let them cool completely.
5. To make the pickling brine, whisk together the vinegar, water, sugar and salt until everything has dissolved.
6. Peel the eggs and divide them between two containers. Add the beets to one container and the curry powder to the other. Pour enough of the pickling brine over each container to completely submerge the eggs.
7. Cover and refrigerate for at least 48 hours.
from Marc Matsumoto of Fresh Tastes, shown on PBS Food