ROASTED BEETS AND CARROTS (for six)
6 medium beets (2-1/2 pounds with greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems attached
2-1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into ¾ inch thick slices
1 sweet onion, cut into ½ inch thick wedges
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 lemon, zested
2 tablespoons fresh tarragon
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Wrap beets tightly in foil, making 2 packages and roast in the middle of oven until tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
2. Toss carrots with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste in a shallow baking pan. Remove beets from oven and roast carrots in the middle of the oven until tender, about 20 minutes.
3. While carrots are roasting, unwrap beets and, when cool enough to handle, slip off skins and remove stems. Cut each beet into 6 wedges.
4. Add beets to carrots, tossing to combine. Add onion wedges, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar and the zest of the lemon. Roast until the beets are hot and the carrots are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Toss with a splash of lemon juice, tarragon and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
NOTE: Beets can be roasted and peeled 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
from Gourmet Magazine, February, 2002