PURPLE PLUM TORTE (for eight)
½ cup unsalted butter
¾ cup sugar
1 cup unbleached flour, sifted
1 teaspoon baking powder
a pinch of salt
24 halves pitted purple plums (You may use fewer than this, depending on the size of your pan and the size of your plums. Italian prune plums are best.)
sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350*.
2. Cream the sugar and butter together in a bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, salt and eggs.
3. Spoon the batter into a spring form pan of 8, 9 or 10 inches (10 inches is best – plum pizza!), or flour and butter any pan.
4. Place the plum halves skin side up on top of the batter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and lemon juice, depending on the sweetness of the plums. Sprinkle the top with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste.
5. Bake for 1 hour, remove and cool. Refrigerate or freeze as desired.
6. Can also be made with apples, apricots, cranberries or peaches.
from The New York Times