LUISA’S ARISTA DI MAIALE ARROSTO (Tuscan roast pork loin, for six)
a 4-½ to 5 pound rib section center cut pork loin roast
6 garlic cloves
¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons coarse salt
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
¼ cup olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
1. Preheat the oven to 425*.
2. Mince together the garlic and rosemary, combine it with the salt and pepper in a small bowl. Mash to form a loose paste.
3. Use a long thin knife to puncture an incision from each end through the center of the pork loin, and use the handle of a wooden spoon to enlarge the slit, creating a ¾ inch hole through the center of the roast. Pack the opening with 1-1/2 tablespoons of the garlic mixture, using the spoon handle to push it through. Score the fat on top of the roast in a diamond pattern, rub it all over with the remaining garlic paste, brush it with olive oil and sprinkle it with additional salt and pepper to taste. Marinate at room temperature 1 hour.
4. Place loin fat side up on a rack in a roasting pan and roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add wine to pan bottom, turn oven temperature down to 325* and continue roasting 1 hour and 45 minutes longer (for a total roasting time of 2 hours), until a meat thermometer registers 140* to 145*.
5. Let pork stand, loosely covered by foil, for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing.
NOTE: Roast may be rubbed and stuffed with garlic mixture 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before roasting.