SPANISH-STYLE PORK RIB ROAST WITH PAN-ROASTED ROMESCO SAUCE (for eight)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram (if you can’t find marjoram, oregano is the closest substitute, although it’s stronger, so you may want to use less)
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
an 8 to 10 bone pork rib roast (about 6 pounds), chine bone removed
4 large roasted red peppers (from a 15 to 16 ounce jar), drained
6 garlic cloves, sliced
1 ripe plum tomato, coarsely chopped
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup Marcona almonds or roasted salted almonds (about 1-½ ounces)
¼ cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 cup dry Sherry
1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl; mix to paste. Spread paste all over pork. Place in roasting pan, bone side down. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour (or cover and chill for up to 1 day, then let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing).
2. Preheat oven to 425*. Place red peppers in a pie dish. Sprinkle garlic and chopped tomato over; drizzle with oil and set aside.
3. Roast pork 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325*. Place dish with red pepper mixture in oven alongside pork. Roast 30 minutes, then remove peppers from oven and cool.
4. Continue roasting pork until an instant read thermometer inserted into thickest part registers 140* to 145*, about 1 hour and 15 minutes longer (about 2 hours total). Transfer pork to a platter, tent with foil and let rest 20 to 30 minutes. Reserve roasting pan.
5. Chop almonds with breadcrumbs in mini processor. Add roasted pepper mixture and blend until smooth. Spoon off any fat from drippings in the roasting pan. Add Sherry to pan. Place over 2 burners and boil until pan juices are reduced to ¼ cup, stirring up any browned bits, about 7 minutes. Scrape pan juices into sauce base in mini processor and blend until smooth. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Cut roast between bones into individual chops and serve with sauce.
from a dateless page torn from Bon Appetit Magazine