SAUTEED CURRIED CABBAGE (for four)
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
2 tablespoons ghee (or clarified butter)
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 medium yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons finely minced green bell pepper (or if you can find it, 1 tablespoon minced Indian pepper leaf)
2 teaspoons finely minced fresh ginger
2 teaspoons curry powder
pinch ground cinnamon
pinch freshly grated nutmeg
one 2 pound green cabbage, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
1. Stir-fry mustard seeds in ghee and oil in very large heavy skillet over moderately high heat until they sputter and dance — about 2 minutes.
2. Reduce heat to moderate, add onion, green pepper and ginger and stir-fry until limp — 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Smooth in curry powder, cinnamon and nutmeg and mellow over moderate heat 1 minute.
4. Add cabbage and stir-fry until nicely glazed — about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook cabbage, uncovered, stirring often, 5 to 10 minutes, until as crisp or tender as you like.
5. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and serve.
from Jean Anderson, The American Century Cookbook