GREEK PATATES STO FOURNIA (roasted potato spears with lemon and oregano, for four)
2 pounds large boiling potatoes (about 4)
¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (more to taste)
2 tablespoons chopped shallots
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano (or 1 tablespoon dried)
2 minced garlic cloves
salt and pepper to taste
1. Put oven rack in lower third of oven, place a rimmed baking sheet (15 by 10 by 1 inch) on the rack and preheat the oven to 450*.
2. Whisk together ¾ cup olive oil, lemon juice and zest, shallots, oregano and garlic cloves in a medium bowl to blend. Season vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
3. Peel potatoes, then cut each lengthwise into 8 wedges and toss with ½ cup vinaigrette in a large bowl.
4. When oven reaches 450*, remove baking sheet and brush it with 1 tablespoon oil. Arrange potatoes on baking sheet, flat sides down, cover the pan tightly with foil and roast 10 minutes. Remove foil, loosen potatoes with a thin metal spatula if they are sticking, and roast 10 minutes more. Loosen potatoes again, then turn over onto other flat sides and roast another 10 minutes.
5. Add 1 tablespoon parsley or cilantro to the remaining vinaigrette and drizzle it over the potatoes when they come out of the oven.