PAN-GRILLED RIB LAMB CHOPS WITH AVGOLEMONO SAUCE (for four)
For the lamb chops:
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup olive oil
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 tablespoons mild honey
12 to 16 rib lamb chops, ¾ inch thick and trimmed of excess fat
For the avgolemono sauce:
2 large eggs separated
½ cup fresh lemon juice
¾ cup chicken stock or reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons finely chopped dill
1. Make the lamb chops: Combine lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and honey in as large sealable bag. Add lamb chops, turning to coat, and marinate at room temperature 1 hour.
2. Remove lamb chops from marinade (discard marinade) and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper (total). Heat a grill pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and grill the lamb, in batches if necessary, turning once, for about 4 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
3. Make avgolemono sauce: Whisk together yolks, lemon juice and ½ teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Beat whites with a clean whisk in a medium bowl until they just hold stiff peaks, then whisk in yolk mixture and chicken broth.
4. Cook egg mixture in a 2 quart heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring constantly (it will be foamy), until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon and registers 170 to 175* on an instant read thermometer, 2 to 3 minutes. (Do not let boil.) Stir in dill.
5. Serve lamb chops with sauce.
NOTE: Sauce can be made 3 hours ahead and chilled (it will deflate slightly). Reheat over low heat.
adapted from Gourmet Holiday Special Edition, December, 2012