MOROCCAN SPICED LAMB BURGERS (for four)
1-1/2 pounds ground lean lamb
1 yellow onion, finely chopped
¾ cup fine fresh bread crumbs
¼ cup chopped fresh mint
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 teaspoon ground cumin
¾ teaspoon ground coriander
¾ teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1 large tomato, diced
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
4 whole-wheat pita breads
1 cup whole-milk plain yogurt
1 cup alfalfa sprouts
1. In a bowl, combine the lamb, onion, bread crumbs, mint, garlic, cumin, coriander, ¾ teaspoon salt and the cayenne. Using your hands, mix gently but thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions and form each into an oval patty about 4-1/2 inches long and about ¾ inch thick.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the tomato and cilantro and season with salt. Let the patties and the tomato mixture stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. If refrigerated, remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before grilling.
3. Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat.
4. Grill the burgers over the hottest part of a charcoal fire or directly over the heat elements of a gas grill, turning once, until nicely charred and cooked to your liking, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. About 1 minute before the burgers are done, place the pita breads along the edges of a charcoal grill where the heat is less intense, or on an area of a gas grill with lower heat, so they can warm.
5. To assemble the sandwiches, coat the pockets of the pita breads lightly with some of the yogurt, then slip a lamb burger into each bread. Add the tomato mixture, sprouts and the remaining yogurt, or serve these as condiments on the side.
from Williams Sonoma