MERINGUE KISSES (about nine dozen)
8 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups superfine sugar
1. Put racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 175*. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Beat whites with salt in a bowl of a stand mixer at high speed until they just hold stiff peaks (or make meringue in 2 batches with a hand-held mixer). Gradually add sugar, beating at high speed until whites hold stiff, glossy peaks.
3. Spoon half of meringue into a pastry bag and pipe 1 inch wide kisses about ½ inch apart onto one baking sheet. Spoon remaining meringue into pastry bag and pipe more kisses onto second sheet in the same manner. (All kisses will fit onto 2 baking sheets).
4. Bake meringue until crisp but still white, about 2 hours.
5. Turn off oven and cool meringues in oven for 1 hour, then cool completely on baking sheet on a rack. Meringues keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
NOTE: These are a great addition to fruit in a chocolate fondue dessert on Valentine’s Day. You also can pulverize a peppermint stick and mix it into the meringue before it is piped for a Christmas treat.
from The Gourmet Cookbook