SKIRT STEAK STROGANOFF (for two)
2 pieces skirt steak (6 ounces each)
salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons minced peeled shallots
2 fresh shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, sliced ¼ inch thick
¼ cup homemade beef stock or canned broth
¼ cup crème fraiche
2 teaspoons tomato puree
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1. Season the steaks lightly with salt and pepper.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a medium heavy skillet and saute the steaks until they are browned on the outside and pink and juicy inside, 2 to 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Transfer the steaks to a plate and keep warm.
3. Pour off the fat from the skillet. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, and saute the shallots and mushrooms over medium heat until just softened, 2 minutes.
4. Stir in the stock, crème fraiche, tomato puree and Worcestershire sauce. Cook over high heat until slightly thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Add any juices that have accumulated from the steaks.
5. Quickly slice the steaks, across the grain and at an angle, into thin strips. Pour the sauce over them and serve.
from Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, The New Basics Cookbook