THAI STICKY RICE WITH MANGO (for six)
1-½ cups glutinous (sweet) rice
1-1/3 cups well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
1 large mango, peeled, pitted and cut into thin slices (yellow champagne mango preferred)
1. In a bowl wash rice well in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Soak rice in cold water to cover overnight.
2. Drain rice well in a sieve. Set sieve over a large deep saucepan of simmering water (sieve should not touch water) and steam rice, covered with a kitchen towel and a lid, 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender (check water level in pan periodically, adding more water if necessary.)
3. While rice is cooking, in a small saucepan bring 1 cup coconut milk to a boil with 1/3 cup sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Keep mixture warm.
4. Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and stir in coconut milk mixture. Let rice stand, covered, 30 minutes, or until coconut mixture is absorbed. Rice may be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead and kept covered at room temperature.
5. While rice is standing, in cleaned small pan slowly boil remaining 1/3 cup coconut milk with remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and chill until cool and thickened slightly.
6. Mold ¼ cup servings of sticky rice on 6 dessert plates. Drizzle desserts with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide mango slices among plates.