PUMPKIN BREAD PUDDING (for twelve)
½ cup packed light brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
1-1/2 cups half and half
1 cup whole milk
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16 ounce) loaf hearty, crusty French bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
salted caramel sauce, for serving
½ cup chopped toasted peans, for serving (optional)
sweetened whipped cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350*. In a mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt.
2. Whisk in egg and egg yolks. Stir in half and half, milk, pumpkin and vanilla.
3. Place bread cubes in an extra large mixing bowl. Pour half and half mixture evenly over bread cubes and gently toss to coat. Let rest 10 minutes.
4. Spoon mixture into a buttered 13 by 8 inch or 13 by 9 inch baking dish (I like to lightly press down on the cubes to even it out a little). Let bake in preheated oven until set, about 45 to 50 minutes.
5. Let cool for a few minutes then cut and serve with salted caramel sauce, pecans and whipped cream.
NOTE: You can prep this a day in advance, store it in the refrigerator and bake it the following day.