ROASTED AUTUMN VEGETABLES WITH APPLES AND PECANS (Brussels sprouts, butternut squash, red onion, apples, pecans, dried cranberries, for five)
16 ounces Brussels sprouts, bottoms trimmed, halved (discard loose leaves)
½ medium red onion, diced into small chunks
4 tablespoons salted butter, melted, divided
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
3 cups cubed (3/4 inch pieces) butternut squash
2 medium crisp baking apples (1 Granny Smith and 1 tango, honey crisp, braeburn, Cortland, Jonathan or Rome beauty)
2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cup pecans (whole or roughly chopped)
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 400*. Spray a rimmed 18 x 13 inch baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
2. Add Brussels sprouts and red onion to a large mixing bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon lemon juice over top. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and toss.
3. Transfer to baking sheet and spread evenly across pan. Add squash and apples to the same mixing bowl.
4. Pour remaining 2 tablespoons butter over top and toss, then sprinkle with brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon salt over top and toss again to coat evenly.
5. Transfer to baking sheet and spread into an even layer with Brussels sprouts and onions.
6. Roast in preheated oven, tossing once halfway through baking, until Brussels sprouts have browned lightly and squash is soft, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle pecans and cranberries over top during last 3 minutes of baking. Serve warm.
adapted from cookingclassy.com