PULLED PORK SOUP (for six)
3 pounds pork butt, cut into ½ inch cubes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large white onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 ounces tomato paste
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 quart beef broth
1 (15 ounce) can white beans
salt and pepper
parsley, for garnish
1. In a large, heavy pot add oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add the cubed pork butt and brown well on all sides, cooking for 8 to 10 minutes total.
2. Add the onion and garlic to the pot with the pork. Add tomato paste and spice as well. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly until the vegetables soften.
3. Add diced tomatoes, brown sugar and beef broth to the pot. Bring to a simmer and scrape up any bits stuck to the pan.
4. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to low. Simmer until the pork is very tender, 75 to 90 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Remove pork and shred. Add pork back to soup along with beans. Season soup with salt and pepper.
6. Serve soup garnished with parsley.