TURKEY NACHOS (for four)
two ripe avocados
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
¼ teaspoon Mexican hot sauce
6 ounces tortilla chips
6 to 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, coarsely shredded
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
½ medium red bell pepper, finely diced
1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups shredded turkey meat
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
freshly ground black pepper
lime wedges for serving
1. Mash the avocados, lime juice, salt and hot sauce in a bowl until blended but still slightly chunky.
2. Preheat the oven broiler.
3. Spread half of the chips on a ¼ size rimmed baking sheet or a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Scatter about one third of the e cheese over the chips. Top with remaining chips. Scatter the white sliced scallions, red pepper and jalapeno pepper over the chips, then top with the turkey. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the pan.
4. Transfer the nachos to the oven and broil about 5 inches below the heating element until the cheese is melted and the chips are tinged golden brown, about 4 minutes, rotating the pan to ensure even cooking.
5. Remove from oven and scatter the sliced green scallions and cilantro over the nachos and garnish with black pepper. Serve immediately with the avocado and lime wedges.
from Lynda Balalev, the Chicago Sun Times