PILLIVUYT 7 BY 12 INCH PORCELAIN BAKER
Pillivuit was founded in 1818 when two Swiss brothers, Jean Louis Richard and Charles Pillivuyt, bought a brick factory in the Sancerre region of France. Their plan was not to make bricks, but rather to produce porcelain for everyday home use. In 1854 Charles ventured out on his own to build a new factory in the nearby town of Mehun sur Vevre.
His enterprise flourished, its reputation grew and eventually became the choice of royal households. In the 1870s the factory’s efficiency was improved with the use of steam engines, and its product distribution reached America. In the 1950s, after World War II, the company worked with chefs and other culinary professionals to create innovative and appealing new porcelain shapes. Pillivuyt has maintained a strong sense of tradition while simultaneously developing new products that respond to the demands of modern consumers.
While now a well recognized international brand, Pillivuyt is one of the few porcelain makers to create its own porcelain compound on site at its factory, and it is one of the last to maintain 100% French production. The company has remained in Sancerre for more than 200 years.