FLORENTINES (about 30 cookies)
2 cups slivered almonds
¾ cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup superfine granulated sugar
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon grated orange zest
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper (or fit with silicone baking mats).
2. In a heavy duty blender or food processor, puree almonds and flour until they are the consistency of sand. Set aside.
3. In a heavy bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, add cream, butter and sugar. Cook, stirring often, until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture begins to brown lightly on edges.
4. Remove pan from heat. Add almonds, honey, vanilla, orange zest and salt. Mix with a rubber spatula until combined (batter will be thick).
5. Drop batter 1 rounded teaspoon at a time onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart as cookies will spread as they bake. Gently and lightly press down batter. Bake for approximately 6 to 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown around edges.
6. Remove parchment or silicone mats from baking sheets and transfer to baking racks to cool.
7. Add a drizzle of melted chocolate to cooled cookies if desired. Let the chocolate dry and harden before storing cookies in an airtight container.