SOUTH DAKOTA PEACH KUCHEN (for nine)
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg or cinnamon
¼ cup butter
1 egg, lightly beaten
½ cup milk
2 cups sliced fresh peaches or frozen unsweetened peach slices, thawed and well drained on paper towels.
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon light colored corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
vanilla or peach ice cream
1. Grease and flour a 9 by 9 by 2 inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Using a pastry blender, cut in the ¼ cup butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small bowl, combine egg and milk. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (mixture should be lumpy).
3. Spread batter into prepared pan. Halve any large peach slices. Arrange peach slices in a single layer on top of batter.
4. For topping, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, corn syrup, the 1 tablespoon butter and the lemon juice. Bring to a boil, then quickly drizzle over the peach slices.
5. Bake in a 350* oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 20 minutes, and serve warm with ice cream.
from Midwest Living Magazine