ROASTED ROOT VEGETABLES WITH MISO GLAZE (for six)
1 pound carrots
8 medium beets
1 large red onion
salt and pepper
3 tablespoons butter
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon maple syrup
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1 scallion, chopped (optional)
1. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400*.
2. Trim the beets, leaving 1 inch of the stems attached, and scrub them well. Wrap the beets tightly in aluminum foil (three or more to a packet) and roast (on a parchment lined jelly roll pan or baking sheet) in the middle of the oven for 45 minutes.
3. Add carrots and onion to pan, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for another 45 minutes, until tender, (The cooking time will vary according to the size of the vegetables – you want them tender all the way through when you pierce them with a small, sharp knife).
4. Unwrap the beets carefully (steam will escape) and let them stand until they are cool enough to handle. Peel them under running water. (Beets may be roasted and peeled 2 days ahead and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.)
3. In the final 10 minutes of roasting time, make the glaze. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in the miso paste, mirin, maple syrup and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and bubble for 2 minutes.
4. Pour over the vegetables, toss and arrange on a platter. Garnish with scallions if desired and serve.