BRAZILIAN STEAK SALAD WITH SPINACH (for four to six)
1 tablespoon honey
5 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
1-1/2 pounds flank steak, thinly sliced across the grain on a diagonal
½ pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into ½ inch rounds
2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and quartered (you could use jalapenos or poblanos rather than bell peppers if you prefer a little heat)
1 lime, juiced
1 orange, juiced and zested
2 teaspoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce
¼ cup canola oil
8 ounces baby spinach (about 2-1/2 quarts lightly packed)
- Preheat a grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together honey, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Add the steak to the bowl and toss to coat. Set aside to marinate.
- Place the pineapple and peppers on the grill and let cook with lid down until they begin to char, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and cut pineapple and peppers into chunks. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, orange zest and juice, remaining 3 tablespoons soy sauce, vinegar, garlic chili sauce and oil. Set dressing aside.
- Grill the steak with lid down until the meat is sizzling and mostly browned, turning once, 2 to 4 minutes total (If you are grilling outdoors on a charcoal grill, you might prefer to grill the steak first and then slice it to insure that be the slices don’t fall through the grate).
- Toss together spinach, pineapple, bell pepper, steak and dressing in a large bowl until evenly coated.
from Camila Alves, http://www.today.com