BLACKBERRY COBBLER (for eight)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup cold water
2 cups sugar plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
1-½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
6 cups blackberries or blueberries (from 3 pints), picked over, rinsed and drained well
2 cups all-purpose flour
1-½ teaspoons baking powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ pound cold unsalted butter (2 sticks), cut into bits
¼ cup milk
2 large eggs
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
vanilla ice cream to accompany
- Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 375*. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Stir together cornstarch and cold water in a large bowl until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add 1-¼ cups sugar, lemon rind and juice, and berries and combine gently but thoroughly. Transfer berry mixture to a 10 inch well seasoned cast iron skillet or other oven-proof skillet and set aside.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and remaining ¾ cup sugar in a food processor and pulse to blend. Add butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl. Beat milk and eggs together in a small bowl, then add to flour mixture and stir with a fork until just mixed.
- Bring blackberry mixture to a boil on top of the stove, stirring, Carefully drop 8 large spoonfuls of dough onto the fruit. Mix together 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the cobbler. Set skillet on foil lined baking sheet and bake until topping is golden, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly on a rack and serve warm, with vanilla ice cream.