BLUEBERRY BUCKLE (for six)
For the cake:
¾ stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup sugar
1 large egg
2 cups sifted all purpose flour
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup milk
4 cups fresh blueberries or thawed frozen blueberries, drained and patted dry
For the streusel:
½ stick (4 tablespoons) chilled unsalted butter
½ cup sugar
1/3 cup sifted all purpose flour
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
whipped cream as an accompaniment
- Make the cake. Preheat the oven to 375* with the rack in the middle. Line the bottom of a buttered 8 inch square baking pan with wax paper and butter the paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar on medium speed in an electric mixer about 3 minutes, reduce speed, add egg and beat well.
- Into a small bowl sift together the flour, baking powder and salt and stir the mixture into the creamed mixture alternately with the milk. Stir in the blueberries carefully and spread the batter evenly into the pan, smoothing the top.
- Make the streusel. In a small bowl, blend the butter with the sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg with a pastry blender or fork until the mixture is the consistency of a fine meal. Spoon the topping evenly over the cake.
- Bake the buckle in a preheated 375* oven for 50 minutes, or until a straw comes out clean. Let the buckle cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, cut it into squares and serve it warm with whipped cream or ice cream.