ROASTED ASPARAGUS WITH LEMON (for six)
1-1/2 pounds fresh jumbo asparagus, either green or white or a combination of the two
2 to 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt to taste
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (juice of ½ lemon), or to taste
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
- Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 450*.
- Wash the asparagus under cold running water, break off about one inch from the bottom of each spear, pat dry with paper towels and place in a single layer on a jelly roll pan or baking sheet.
- Brush asparagus with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Roast the asparagus, shaking the pan every 2 minutes or so, until the spears are just tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. The timing will depend on the thickness of the asparagus, but 8 to 10 minutes is usual.
- Transfer asparagus to a platter with tongs, sprinkle with lemon juice and lemon zest, and serve.
NOTE: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. If desired, rewarm in a 450* oven 5 minutes, or serve at room temperature