MOROCCAN PRESERVED LEMONS (5)
10 lemons (preferably with smooth skins)
5 to 6 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt
2 cinnamon sticks
16 coriander seeds
10 black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
- Shave off both ends of 5 lemons and cut them in half horizontally. Sprinkle the cut surfaces with coarse salt.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of coarse salt into the bottom of a 4 cup covered glass jar (or a 1 liter mason jar). Place 4 lemon halves in the jar, cut side out, and press them to the bottom, flattening them slightly. Sprinkle with a thin layer of salt. Place a cinnamon stick, 5 cloves, 8 coriander seeds, 5 peppercorns and 2 bay leaves on top. Repeat with four more lemon halves and the remaining spices. Force the final two lemon halves into the center of the jar.
- Press down the lemons to release their juice. Squeeze the remaining 5 lemons into the jar so that the juice submerges some of the lemons. Discard these last lemons.
- Cover the jar and refrigerate. Turn once a day for at least 2 weeks. Rinse the lemons before using.
- Once they are well-preserved, in 2 or 3 weeks, they will last for months in the refrigerator.