SPICED CARAMEL ORANGES (for eight)
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
four 3-inch cinnamon sticks
1-1/2 teaspoons whole allspice berries
6 tablespoons dark rum
12 navel oranges, the peel and the pith cut away with a serrated knife and the sections cut free from the membranes
- In a heavy saucepan melt the sugar over moderate heat, stirring with a fork, and cook the syrup, swirling the pan occasionally, until it is golden caramel.
- Remove the pan from the heat, pour the water carefully down the side of the pan, and add the cinnamon and allspice. Return the pan to the heat and simmer the syrup until the caramel is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat, add the rum carefully, and simmer the syrup for 5 minutes.
- Arrange the orange slices in a large bowl, pour the syrup over them and let the oranges macerate, covered and chilled, for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Serve the oranges at room temperature.
from Gourmet Magazine, February, 1993