ELLEN’S POPPYSEED BUNDT CAKE (for eight)
1 cup crushed poppy seeds
1 cup milk
1 cup butter (plus extra for the pan)
2 cups sugar
3 eggs, separated
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour, sifted (plus extra for flouring the pan)
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 350*. Grease a tube pan thoroughly and flour it, tapping out the excess.
- Combine the milk and poppy seeds and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let it sit for 1 hour.
- Beat together the butter and sugar with an electric mixer at medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes in a standing mixer or 4 with a hand-held. Add the egg yolks one at a time and beat after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat. Add the poppy seed-milk mixture and beat. Add the flour, baking powder and salt and beat.
- In a different bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff and gently fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake it in the middle of the oven for 1 hour. Allow to rest in the pan set on a cake rack for 15 minutes before turning out.