WALNUT SPICE CAKE WITH LEMON GLAZE (for eight)
For the cake:
2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
1-1/2 teaspoons freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/4 cups sour cream
1 cup walnuts (3 ounces), toasted, cooled and finely chopped (black walnuts, if you have access to them, may also be used for this cake)
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. Make the cake. Put oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350*. Butter a 12 cup bundt pan.
2. Sift together the flour, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Beat together the butter and sugar in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes in a standing mixer or 4 with a hand-held. Add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low, then add flour mixture and sour cream alternately in batches, mixing well after each addition.
3. Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks, then fold whites and walnuts into batter gently but thoroughly.
4. Spoon batter into pan, smoothing top, and bake until a wooden pick or skewer comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then invert onto rack and cool completely.
5. Make the glaze. Whisk together confectioners sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Transfer cake to a plate, then drizzle glaze over cake and let it stand until glaze is set, about 20 minutes.
6. Cake (without glaze) can be made 1 day ahead and kept, wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, at room temperature.
from Gourmet Magazine, December, 1992