SRIRACHA (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 to 5 medium garlic cloves, crushed or minced
2 medium shallots, minced
2 eight-ounce cans tomato sauce
1 cup Thai red chile peppers, or to taste (start with half this amount for a milder sauce), stemmed and finely minced
1 tablespoon fish sauce
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat, then add garlic and shallots. Saute for 1 minute, or just until shallots are light brown and fragrant (don’t burn your garlic).
- Add tomato sauce and chiles. Let sauce come to a simmer then lower the heat to keep mixture at a gentle simmer. Add fish sauce, vinegar and sugar. Mix well.
- Continue simmering for about 5 minutes to break down and soften the chiles, which will allow for a smooth consistency.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Transfer sauce to a blender and puree until smooth or until most of the chile seeds and skin have broken down and been incorporated.
- Taste hot sauce and add more fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and water to taste. Blend one last time, until very smooth. Pour sauce into a sterilized jar and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
from Epicurious Fresh (Special Edition)