CHINESE-STYLE SHRIMP SALAD WITH MINT (for four)
For the salad:
16 cooked medium-sized prawns (shrimp), about 1 pound 2 ounces
1 small carrot, peeled
1 medium-sized cucumber, peeled
2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
1 stick celery, finely sliced on the diagonal
2/3 cup spring onion (scallion), julienned
¼ cup roughly torn mint leaves
For the dressing:
¼ cup quality extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
2 tablespoons light soy sauce
2 teaspoons white sugar
- Peel and devein prawns and set aside.
- Using a vegetable peeler, finely slice carrot lengthwise into ribbons. Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Place cut-side down on a chopping board and finely slice on the diagonal.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine prawns, carrot and cucumber with remaining ingredients. Pour over dressing and toss well.
- Arrange salad on a platter and serve immediately.
from Kylie Kwong, Simple Chinese Cooking