LEMON ICE BOX COOKIES (fifty)
1-1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon rind
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
confectioner’s sugar for sifting over the cookies
- In a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the vanilla, rind and lemon juice, beating, and beat the mixture until it is smooth.
- Into the bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and blend the dough well.
- On a piece of waxed paper, form the dough into a log 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Chill the log, wrapped in the waxed paper and foil, for 2 hours. (The dough can be made up to 3 months ahead and kept wrapped well and frozen).
- Cut the log into 1/8 inch slices with a sharp knife and bake the cookies 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets in a preheated 350* oven for 8 minutes, or until the edges are just golden.
- Let cookies stand on the cookie sheets for a few minutes then transfer them with a metal spatula to racks to cool. Sift confectioner’s sugar lightly over them and serve.
SERVE WITH: Blackfruit compote