ROSA MEXICANO STREET SALAD (with avocado, mango and lime vinaigrette, for four)
For the vinaigrette:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon cumin (optional)
½ teaspoon chili powder (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
For the salad:
2 boneless, skinless whole chicken breasts (about 1-1/2 pounds), halved
½ cup fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
vegetable oil for brushing the chicken and for frying the tortilla crisps
4 corn tortillas, cut into long thin triangles
2 cups cooked fresh corn kernels (cut from about 4 ears of corn)
1 large red bell pepper, diced
2 ripe mangos, peeled, pitted and diced
2 firm-ripe California avocadoes
1 small red onion, peeled, halved and sliced thin
1 head Boston lettuce, cored, rinsed and spun dry
1 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded, rinsed and spun dry
- Prepare the chicken. In a bowl let the chicken marinate in the lime juice with the oregano and salt and pepper to taste for at least 30 minutes or up to one hour. Drain the chicken, pat it dry and brush with the oil. Grill the chicken, seasoned with salt and pepper, on a well-oiled rack set about 6 inches over glowing coals for about 6 to 7 minutes on each side, or until it is just cooked through. (Alternatively, the chicken can be cooked on top off the stove in a ridged grill pan over moderately high heat for about the same length of time). Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let it stand for 10 minutes.
- Make the tortilla crisps while the chicken is grilling. In a heavy skillet heat ½ inch oil to 375* on a deep fat thermometer and in it fry the tortilla triangles in batches for 45 seconds to 1 minute, or until they are golden, transferring them as they are fried with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and sprinkling them with salt. (Tortilla triangles can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container).
- Make the vinaigrette. In a small bowl whisk together the juices, cumin, chili powder and salt. Add the oil in a stream and whisk until it is emulsified.
- In a large bowl combine the corn, bell peppers, mango, avocado, and red onion with enough vinaigrette to coat the mixture lightly. Toss well. Cut the chicken lengthwise into thin slices and add it to the corn mixture along with any juices that have accumulated on the cutting board.
- Line a large salad bowl with the lettuce and watercress and mound the chicken and corn mixture in the center. Drizzle with additional dressing and decorate with tortilla crisps.