WALDORF CHICKEN SALAD (with apple, celery, grapes, tarragon and walnuts, for four)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (3 pounds), well rinsed and patted dry
1 cup crème fraiche or heavy whipping cream
½ cup sour cream
½ cup mayonnaise
2 ribs celery, cut into ½ inch dice
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
1 cup purple seedless grapes, halved
½ cup walnut halves
1 tablespoon minced fresh or crumbled dried tarragon
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in a large baking pan and spread the crème fraiche evenly over them. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the cream.
- Scrape off the creme fraiche and shred the meat into bite-sized pieces and transfer to a bowl. Discard the crème fraiche.
- Whisk the sour cream and mayonnaise together in a small bowl.
- Add the celery, apple, grapes, walnuts, tarragon and salt and pepper and toss well. Add half of the sour cream and mayonnaise dressing and toss. Add more dressing to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Correct seasoning before serving.
adapted from Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins, The New Basics Cookbook
NOTE: If you are using previously cooked chicken, remove the meat from the skin and bones and shred it. Discard the skin and bones. Toss the chicken with the creme fraiche and set aside for half an hour. Scrape off most of the creme fraiche and proceed with the recipe.