ROASTED PORK TENDERLOIN ISLAND STYLE, WITH AVOCADO, ORANGE, NAPA CABBAGE AND SPINACH SALAD (for four)
For the pork:
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
two ¾ pound pork tenderloins
2 tablespoons olive oil
For the glaze:
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
For the vinaigrette:
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon curry powder, toasted
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
½ cup olive oil
For the salad:
3 navel oranges
5 ounces baby spinach, trimmed (6 cups leaves)
4 cups thinly sliced Napa cabbage (1 medium head)
1 red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
½ cup golden raisins
2 firm-ripe California (Haas) avocados
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat it to 350* (You need a lower temperature for this recipe because the glaze burns easily).
- Stir together the salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder and cinnamon. Pat pork dry with paper towels then coat it with the spice rub.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof 12 inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until just beginning to smoke, then brown pork, turning, about 5 minutes total. Leave pork in skillet.
Make glaze and roast pork:
- Stir together the brown sugar, garlic and Tabasco sauce and pat onto top of each tenderloin. Roast in the middle of the oven until a thermometer inserted diagonally into the center of each tenderloin registers 155*, about 30 minutes. Let pork stand in skillet at room temperature 5 minutes before slicing.
Make vinaigrette while pork roasts:
- Whisk together juices, mustard, curry powder, salt and pepper, then add the oil in a stream, whisking until emulsified.
Prepare salad ingredients while pork stands:
- Cut peel, including white pith, from oranges with a sharp knife, then cut oranges crosswise into ¼ inch thick slices. Toss spinach, cabbage, bell pepper and raisins in a large bowl with about ¼ cup vinaigrette. Halve, pit and peel avocados, then cut diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices.
- Cut pork at a 45* angle into ½ inch thick slices. Line a large platter with dressed salad and arrange sliced pork, oranges and avocados in rows on top. Drizzle vinaigrette over avocados and oranges. Pour any juices in skillet over pork.
from Gourmet Magazine, May, 2003