GRILLED STRIP STEAKS WITH KOREAN BARBECUE MARINADE AND SPICY CILANTRO SAUCE (for four)
¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons soy sauce
¼ cup Shaoxing rice wine or medium-dry sherry
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon Asian sesame oil
1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
four 1 inch thick boneless beef top loin (strip, or shell) steaks, about ¾ pound each
spicy cilantro sauce to accompany
1. Stir together ¼ cup soy sauce, sherry, sugar, 1-1/2 tablespoons garlic, 1 tablespoon sesame oil and red pepper flakes in a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish until sugar is dissolved, then add steaks, turning to coat. Marinate steaks, turning once, 1 hour.
2. Prepare grill for cooking. If using a charcoal grill, open vents on the bottom and then light charcoal. When charcoal turns grayish white (about 15 minutes after lighting), hold your hand 5 inches above the rack. The fire is medium-hot if you can keep your hand there just 3 to 4 seconds. If you are using a gas grill, heat burners on high, covered, then reduce heat to moderate.
3. Grill steaks on a lightly oiled rack over glowing coals, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
4. If you are not able to grill outdoors, steaks can be cooked in a hot, lightly oiled, ridged grill pan over moderately high heat, turning once, for about the same time period.
5. Let steaks stand on a cutting board 5 minutes, cut on the diagonal across the grain into ¾ inch thick slices. Top steak slices with some of the sauce and serve remaining sauce on the side.
from Gourmet Magazine, June, 2001