LUZIANNE’S SOUTHERN STYLE ICED TEA (1 gallon)
4 Luzianne’s family size iced tea bags (Probably the equivalent of 8 regular size tea bags. Luzianne tea is a blend of orange pekoe and pekoe cut black tea selected specifically for iced tea. If it’s unavailable, choose another mild, smooth, good quality black tea.)
1 gallon (16 cups) cold spring water or filtered water, divided into two 8 cup portions
1 cup granulated sugar, or to taste
lemon wheels, orange wedges and/or mint sprigs or leaves for garnish (optional)
1.In a pot, bring 8 cups water to a boil and remove from the heat.
2. Add tea bags and allow to steep for 3 to 5 minutes, depending on the strength of tea you prefer.
3. Remove and discard tea bags and stir sugar into warm tea. Continue stirring until sugar is completely dissolved.
4. Pour concentrated tea into a large pitcher and mix in remaining 8 cups water.
5. Allow to cool to room temperature and then chill (some think the tea is better on the second day, but for best flavor it should be used within 48 hours).
6. Pour into glasses packed with ice cubes, garnish and serve.
adapted from the Luzianne web site