BLACKBERRY CRUMB MUFFINS (24)
For the crumb topping:
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
½ cup dark brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted
For the cake:
1-1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sour cream
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
½ pint fresh blackberries (or use raspberries, blueberries or diced strawberries)
1.Heat oven to 350*. Grease or line 24 muffin cups.
2. Make the crumb topping: Whisk together flour, sugars, spices and salt in a medium sized bowl. Pour in melted butter and stir until crumbles form.
3. Prepare the cake: Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs one at a time, then scrape down sides of the mixer. Mix in sour cream, vanilla and zest.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture to batter and bat until just mixed. Fold in berries with a spatula and make sure batter is completely mixed.
5. Spoon batter into prepared muffin pans, filling each cup only halfway. Pinch large crumble crumbs from topping mixture and scatter evenly on top of the batter.
6. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until muffins are golden and their centers spring back when very gently pressed with a finger. (A cake tester will come out with crumbs attached, but it shouldn’t be wet.) Transfer muffins to a wire rack. Serve warm or let cool completely and freeze.
from the New York Times, August 21, 2013